Cycling in Viñales
Do you want to get out in the countryside, and enjoy the pedal power?
Viñales valley is pretty flat, and a great place to cycle, if you want to get out into the countryside.
Official Tour with Guide
If you would like to go on a guided tour, the following option may be of interest to you:-
- Prehistoric Mural
- Palenque de los Cimarrones where you learn about afro-cuban religion and the history of the slaves in the 19th century
- Casa del Veguero where you will learn about the cigar making process.
- Indian Cave with an underground river inside the cave that you will visit in a boat.
Prices are: 20CUC per person, and include:-Bicycle, lunch, a specialist guide & entrance fees.
Self Guided Cycling Tour of Viñales
If you're feeling energetic, your casa owner can usually hire you some bicycles for about 5CUC (£)a day.
You can also hire bicycles at the bottom of the High Street, near restaurant Don Thomas.
The office is open from 8:30am to 12:30pm and from 16:00pm to 20:00pm (ish...)
- 1 Hour: 1CUC (£0.65)
- 2 Hours: 2CUC (£1.30)
- 3 to 8 Hours: 0.75CUC (£0.50) per hour
- 8 Hours: 6CUC (£4)
Did you know that Virgin Atlantic will let you bring your bicycles for free? Check this link
Suggested Self Guided Cycling Route of Viñales
A nice 25km round route that I suggest is below. It’s quite flat all the way!
- From the Main Plaza, follow the High Street (Cisneros) down the hill to the petrol station.
- Turn left, and continue on this road for about 2 miles.
- Turn right signposted to “Republica de Chille”
- With the ‘mogotes’ on your left, continue on this road for about 2.8 miles
- Turn left at the fork in the road, and head north for a further 2.65 miles
- When you come to a T Junction, turn left (west), back towards Viñales, (right takes you towards La Palma)
- Cycle west for 2.1 miles. At the T junction, Turn left (south) towards Viñales.
- Continue on this road.
- After about ½ mile, you could take a little side trip, to the Ancon Valley (it is a no-through-road, so you will have to return this way).
- Turn Right (west) off the main road for this side trip.
- Back at the Valle Ancon Junction, continue south from the for another ½ mile and you will reach Hotel Rancho San Vincente.
- Las Cuevas del Indio are a few 100 metres further on.
- Another mile and a half further you will reach Palenque de los Cimerones.on your right.
- After another half a mile, you are back to your original route, (notice the turning to Rebublica de Chille)
- The route back to Viñales town is only 2 miles from here.